Does upgrade mean re-write?

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
DoctorWeb

Does upgrade mean re-write?

Post by DoctorWeb »

I'm anxious to upgrade to version 6 of the software, and just wondered if this meant I would have to rebuild every web page once again using that, or can the software just take the old v5 files and churn out codee in v6 for it? I can't see anything about it in the other messages, but recall struggling to rebuild everything from scratch with a previous upgrade, and will need to schedule the time for that.
Thanks
Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Does upgrade mean re-write?

Post by Pablo »

You do not have to rebuild your website. You can open your existing projects and continue to work on them.
This was also the case with previous versions.
DoctorWeb

Post by DoctorWeb »

OK.
Yes, the new version 6 has opened all my old V5 qwb files OK,
and I can work on them

Sadly its a nightmare finding all the old settings to send material to the server. I shall have to reload up to V5 again and copy them all out by long-hand.
Perhaps for the next upgrade you might consider arranging the upgrade version to copy the settings for FTP, etc over from any previous version; it would make for a much easier migration.
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

You can copy FTP (and most other) settings from a previous version.
See this related FAQ:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=43939
mexman

Post by mexman »

Hi DoctorWeb:
Most questions here are answered easily not only in the SW documentation but also did already come up in the forum.
Using "version ftp setting" shows you that the same question had been answered before.
It was suggested several times before to offer a carry-over of the prior settings when updating, but the solution Pablo offers for copying the former settings, is still helpful.
I am having the same issue in every version update and have to lookup this description again ;-)

It was also suggested, to implemente the FTP settings into each project.

regards + have a nice Christmas

Michael
QnEWB V6.x - Ubuntu 18.04
DoctorWeb

Post by DoctorWeb »

Thanks Michael, your Seasons Greetings vare reciprocated.

I do spend a lot of time trawling through the forum questions, or rather the answers and I learn a lot from it and am most grateful.

After upgrading to V6, I find that none of my web sites will upload, despite my copying the FTP settings out individually for each site, taking great care of passwords, etc. It will be something silly, one tiny new change, that is just banjaxing the entire process. But the upgrade brought everything to a halt.

Right now there is no time, so I have gone back to version 5, which fortunateley i hadn't removed!
I shall go back to V6 when I have a week off to try and learn it!
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

You can copy FTP (and most other) settings from a previous version.
See this related FAQ:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=43939
mexman

Post by mexman »

Hi DoctorWeb:
This time I did not copy the settings from the settings file as suggested by Pablo.
I re-entered all data newly, taking the chance to reorganize and tidy up. As well one of the servers changed to SFTP, it was FTP before.
And I can assure you, V.6 is working perfectly well!

Regards
Michael