Can unselected radio button trigger error page?

Issues related to forms.
davegude

Can unselected radio button trigger error page?

Post by davegude » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:06 pm

I have 11 sets of radio buttons corresponding to 11 questions on my survey form. I'd like to have my Error page be triggered by the case of someone filling out the survey but leaving a radio button set unselected. Can I do this?

Related question: How can I learn about—and control—which fields trigger my Error page?

Thanks,

Dave

mexman

Re: Can unselected radio button trigger error page?

Post by mexman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:38 pm

Hi,

the radio button validation is normally not possible because you cannot detect if a user wants to keep the predeteremined selection or if he just does not consider to answer.

You CAN do it, if you ose a button like "No answer" and other buttons for valid answers.
Then you can check, if the "No answer" button is still ticked and do not accept the form in that case.

The Result validation is done when selecting a field.... then the property inspector will open an option "Form Validation" and there you can enter the allowed values.

Regards
Mcihael

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:33 pm

The purpose of a radio button is that always one of them is selected.
So you should always initially select one item.

davegude

Post by davegude » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:20 pm

Thanks. "Form validation" is what I was looking for. I will dig into this.

Regarding leaving one radio button pre-selected, this is a customer satisfaction survey so I do not want to make any "suggestions."

A "no answer" button is interesting, but it seems like it would clutter up my form. Also, I can't find a "Form validation" control for radio buttons. Am I missing something?

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:24 pm

There is no validation for a radio buttons because it always has one selection, so the user cannot do anything wrong. This is standard browser/HTML behavior.
If you want to implement different behavior then you will have to create a validation script yourself.
Usually this is done via the 'onsubmit' event of the form (for advanced users only...)