Protecting data

All Quick 'n Easy Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
kgnoble

Protecting data

Post by kgnoble »

Hello - any help would be particularly welcomed!

I have a website that is intended to collect names and emails for a petition. The temporary website is running at
https://www.cageyenne.co.uk/cut-to-20mp ... tition.php

I am using the form and form processor in QnEWB and can export the signatories from the website to the server as a csv file - formdata.csv. However, this data is easily accessible to anyone who reads the url generated by the "submit" action, and the file is then available for anyone to read! I assume it is also available to any robots trawling for useful data files.

How do I protect this file from being read? If I protect at the server level, then the inputted data will not be saved except by using the username/password the server expects to see - which is obviously inappropriate for all the signatories.

Any suggestions - or are there other extensions/methods to enable me to provide the username/password to the server separate from the user input?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Keith
Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Protecting data

Post by Pablo »

File permissions/security is server functionality and not directly related to the application.
Your webhost may provide tools to prevent files being downloaded, this cannot be done via HTML.
kgnoble

Re: Protecting data

Post by kgnoble »

Thanks - all solved now by protecting the file as write but not read in cPanel on the server.
Thanks as ever for your help

Keith