"Single Page Protect" w/password only?

All Quick 'n Easy Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
PjW

"Single Page Protect" w/password only?

Post by PjW »

We want to supply our church members with a password to access an online church directory. Can we do that without creating a database?

After creating the page, adding the page protect, and publishing, the password screen appears on the page but there's also a lot of extraneous code scattered about.

http://fbclewisburg.com/Church_Directory.html
betwixt

Re: "Single Page Protect" w/password only?

Post by betwixt »

The clue is in the link name you posted, it should end in ".php".

Go into the settings and change html to php then re-publish the page. Note that most if not all browsers will select the html version of a page in preference to a php one so you will have to manually delete the present html one in order that it isn't selected. You can do that through the publish menu.

What is actually happening is your browser is seeing code that should be executed by the server. Instead of it being processed to protect the page, you are seeing it as plain text. When you change the extension to php, the server will run the code and still show the page you designed.

Brian.
PjW

Post by PjW »

Brian,

Thank you for such a courteous explanation. I'm quite intimidated by all the knowledgable folks on here and am operating way outside my comfort level.

I had selected php as the file extension in the property inspector, but didn't think to delete the html file in the folder.

Now that I've done that, I'm getting a "404 Not Found" error message because it's still looking for the html page which I deleted. I checked the menu connection and it is linked to Church_Directory.php, which I've uploaded.

What have I missed?
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

Did you republish all pages that link to the page after changing the extension to PHP?
PjW

Post by PjW »

Good grief. And it was as simple as THAT!!
Thank you both SO MUCH.
PjW

Post by PjW »

I've just noticed the menu item "PHOTOS" which includes the protected page is not responsive on mobile platforms but seems fine on desktop and laptops. What have I done wrong?
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

None of your pages seems to be responsive.
Did you implement breakpoints?

See also this tutorial (and related tutorials)
http://www.quickandeasywebbuilder.com/layout_modes.html
PjW

Post by PjW »

That's odd. Everything seems to be working for me, all platforms, except the "Photos" links on mobile platform. No, no breakpoints.
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

The page is password protected so I cannot see what it looks like.
However, if you want to optimize the page for different screen sizes then you either need to add breakpoints or use layoutgrid / flexbox.