Can´t preview after updating system to Linux 22.04

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
cbab

Can´t preview after updating system to Linux 22.04

Post by cbab »

We've recently updated our system to Linux 22.04, put QNEWB 8 back on and now Preview isn´t working. It says it can't find the file:
¨/tmp/~preview/index.html¨ I have been searching all the files and can't find where it is. I'm wondering if something went wrong when we put Version 8 back on because it also complained about missing the awesome font. Up until now the program has been working great, I eventually solved my previous mega menu issue which turned out to be a settings problem.
Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Can´t preview after updating system to Linux 22.04

Post by Pablo »

Maybe you have accidentally set the index page to 'don't publish' in the Site Manager?
Or maybe the software does not have permission to save files in the 'tmp' folder?
betwixt

Post by betwixt »

I'm seeing the same problem after updating Kubuntu to 22.04.

Assuming you are using Firefox, the problem seems to be related to it being a 'snap' installation rather than a normal program. I have it set as default browser and the preferred program to open HTML files but it still says the file doesn't exist, even if 'file://tmp/~preview/index.html' is typed directly in the URL bar.

The only solution I have found is to install a second browser, Vivaldi looks very nice and it does open the preview correctly. I still intend to use Firefox for other browsing, including looking at the final published pages but Vivaldi seems completely compatible with it and does the previewing perfectly.

Brian.
cbab

Post by cbab »

Thank you so much for the information. I'll try adding a different browser and see if that helps.
cbab

Post by cbab »

I just added PaleMoon as my default browser and Qnewb preview works again in Ubuntu 22.04. Firefox is clearly the problem. Thanks again Brian!
pesit

Post by pesit »

Hallo, friends,
I have same problem... After update to Ubuntu 22.04 I cannot see preview. Maybe it is caused by standard Firefox installation via snap. Same problem I have with my second browser - Brave. Previews are stored in folder /tmp/~preview. I set highest rights for this folder manually, but preview directly from Qnewb is still not possible - error message is "The file /tmp/~preview/index.html cannot be found". But files are there... When I try open index.html file in preview folder, it is not work and browser show error "The file /tmp/~preview/index.html cannot be found" again. When I copy all preview files to another folder - it is working fine! So maybe it is caused by sandboxed Firefox and Brave installations in new 22.04 Ubuntu version. It is not problem with Qnewb, before upgrade it worked excellent, now is working excellent too. Any ideas to correct this problem, please?
Thank you!
Petr.

Added: I install Vivaldi (not snap, directly from vivaldi repo) and all running perfectly... so maybe it is really problem with Ubuntu snaps...
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

When I try open index.html file in preview folder, it is not work and browser show error "The file /tmp/~preview/index.html cannot be found" again.
This indicates that the problem is not directly related to the QnEWB.
It looks like it's an issue with access permissions.
betwixt

Post by betwixt »

I've been investigating, it doesn't appear to be directly related to 'snap' installations but a change to Firefox that stops it viewing ANY local file. I've tried "about:config" settings but nothing seems to make it work. Even entering the PC's IP address or 'localhost' as the root URL doesn't work.

There are various suggestions on how to fix it on the internet but they tell you to change settings that are no longer present in the later releases.

Maybe the solution is to somehow fake the preview as being a remote file but I'm not sure how to do it or whether it is possible at all. I'm willing to test if there are any suggestions.

Brian.

[some time later]
If the preview files are moved to the home folder and the Firefox URL is set to the new address it DOES work so for some reason Firefox blocks access to the /tmp folder. As far as I know the files in the /tmp folder should be owned by the user and not restricted so it must be a hard coded feature in Firefox itself. It would seem that if the Qnewb preview folder could be moved to inside the home folder and maybe hidden it would fix the problem. The only drawback would be that the program would be responsible for deleting the files at shutdown because unlike the /tmp directory they wouldn't be automatically deleted at boot time.