New member - asking for opinion

All Quick 'n Easy Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
alex4orly

New member - asking for opinion

Post by alex4orly »

Hello to all,

I have been a WWB / Windows client for many years and decided to move to Linux / Ubuntu 20.04
Anyone here can give me some tips please

Thank yo
betwixt

Re: New member - asking for opinion

Post by betwixt »

Welcome here - I spotted your messages on the WWB forum!

I switched a long time ago and ditched Windows for good. I have 7 systems here running Linux, all dedicated to specific tasks. My recommendation would be to install the Kubuntu version rather than plain Ubuntu. Functionally they are pretty much identical but Kubuntu uses the KDE desktop which I find much easier to use and certainly more pleasant to look at. The current version is 20.04.1 from https://kubuntu.org

You can use the same '.deb' installer as the plain Ubuntu version of QnewB but I find it just as easy to use the generic linux installer and copy all the files to a dedicated folder.

Brian.
alex4orly

Post by alex4orly »

Hi Brian,

I will miss at least one thing from WWB - the multiple TAB / Pages option which I understand is NOT available in QNE. This is the option that I use a lot to view things in one page or copy an object from one page into another.

As I start transferring projects, I will no doubt bump into missing Extensions that are NOT available here and will have to contend with that.

I installed and uninstalled Ubunu several times, I am reluctant now to try and move to Kubuntu, unless there is a real strong set of reasons...
One of the annoying things in Ubuntu is the confusing way to create desktop shortcuts, the files, folders, applications.

I also tried Wine but failed to install WWB in there, are you not missing anything from WWB?

Thanks for your feedback
Alex
betwixt

Post by betwixt »

I agree, the single page view isn't as user friendly as the tabbed view but you can still copy and paste by opening the source window to copy then opening the destination window for pasting.

There are fewer extensions in QNE but I find there are sufficient to make good pages. You can convert some extensions using the tools on this site and you can of course use the original extension code inside a HTML object.

The KDE Plasma desktop in Kubuntu has a "add to Desktop" feature to create shortcuts and the shortcuts themselves can be opened in a text editor and changed if you really need to do it. Most installers create the shortcut for you but like everything in Linux, you can create or configure just about anything to your own preferences.

Brian.
alex4orly

Post by alex4orly »

Hi Brian,

I am trying hard to NOT use 3rd party extensions, but I will discover whatever I am missing as I port my projects over.

About KDE, can I just install it as a new GUI on top of GNOME?
One of my main problems now are the creation of desktop shortcuts and file associasion - How do I associate the QNE software to a project file .qwb. I tried to right click and "Open with another program" but I don't know what command should I run?

Cheers
Alex
betwixt

Post by betwixt »

We are talking Linux here - anything is possible :D

Just follow the step-by-step instructions here: https://itsfoss.com/install-kde-on-ubuntu/

Linux uses a different method of associating files with applications, it looks inside the file to determine its type rather than using the name extension but you can still make associations yourself. In KDE (or more accurately the KDE Plasma desktop) do as you did before by "open with/Other application" but after making the selection, tick the box called "Remember application association..." at the bottom of the window.

You can check what any file is deemed to be by opening a terminal window and typing "file xxxx" where the xxxx is the file name. Note that if you have a terminal window open and a file list in another window you can drag the file to the terminal window and it's full path and name will be copied across.

Brian.
alex4orly

Post by alex4orly »

Hi Brian,

It seems that in my current Desktop (GNOME) I have no checkbox. In fact, the application I want to use is NOT in the list, that;s why I can select it to make an association.

Can you please upload a screen shot?

I followed your instruction and I get the following :

alex4buba@alex4buba-NUC8i7HNK:~/125_qwb$ [*]file 125_New.qwb[/b]
125_New.qwb: data

What do I do with this?

Thanks again
Alex
betwixt

Post by betwixt »

Perhaps the method is different under Gnome.

I don't think Pablo allows images to be uploaded here so I placed one on one of my web sites at this URL:
http://awaken.co.uk/Screenshot.png

This is just an example, using PNG files but you can do the same with QWB.

The file command is just so you can see how Linux interprets file types, it uses the contents rather than the file name extension. It is far safer than blindly accepting whether a file should is execuatable based only on its name.

Brian.
alex4orly

Post by alex4orly »

Hello again,

I am not clear / confused - what are you showing me in this image?
How do I make a file association from that?

Cheers
Alex