Loading software

All Quick 'n Easy Web Builder support issues that are not covered in the forums below.
uffex

Re: Loading software

Post by uffex »

Good day Brian
Not sure I have followed your instrucions exactly.
Kind regards
Image/home/buff/Pictures/Terminal.png
betwixt

Post by betwixt »

Pablo doesn't allow images to be uploaded directly to this Forum but in any case, you have sent a link to a file on your own computer so (hopefully!) nobody else can see it anyway.

Try posting it on a file sharing system, preferably one that doesn't require a password so we can see the image.

Brian.
uffex

Post by uffex »

Good day Brian
First thank you for time & trouble, typing those commands produced the following results:-
buff@buff-To-be-filled-by-O-E-M:~$ cd
buff@buff-To-be-filled-by-O-E-M:~$ Is -al
Is: command not found
buff@buff-To-be-filled-by-O-E-M:~$ Is-al
Is-al: command not found
buff@buff-To-be-filled-by-O-E-M:~$
betwixt

Post by betwixt »

'ls -al' is 'LS -AL' in lower case. I think you might have typed a digit one or letter I rather than L.

ls is a standard Linux command to list files, the -al reveals hidden files and lists all their details one file per line.

If you are unsure of the path, try this:
locate qnewb

It will probably throw up many lines, the one simply ending in /qnewb is the path it is installed on. Note there may also be one with a dot before qnewb, this probably isn't the right one.

Brian.
uffex

Post by uffex »

Good day Brian
Copy of result
buff@buff-To-be-filled-by-O-E-M:~$ locate qnewb
/home/buff/.cache/.fr-5Jj77X/qnewb8_linux.zip
/home/buff/Documents/Quick and Easy Web Builder/templates/qnewb template 1.qwbt
/home/buff/Documents/Quick and Easy Web Builder/templates/qnewb template 2.qwbt
/home/buff/Documents/Quick and Easy Web Builder/templates/qnewb template 3.qwbt
/home/buff/Documents/Quick and Easy Web Builder/templates/qnewb template 4.qwbt
/home/buff/Documents/Quick and Easy Web Builder/templates/qnewb template 5.qwbt
/home/buff/Documents/Quick and Easy Web Builder/templates/qnewb template 6.qwbt

I tried using the gdebi installer it appears to load the software still not showing up as usable application.
Kind regards
uffex

Post by uffex »

Im not so sure about the download only has three files each time I have dowloaded -control.tar.xz - data.tar.xz - debian-binary
betwixt

Post by betwixt »

You are confirming the executable file isn't there at all.
The three files inside the .deb are normal, all debs are like that, two files are the program and its data, the third is a script to install them.

Can I suggest you try something completely different. Delete the files you have installed and instead of downloading the Ubuntu/Debian version, download the Linux version instead. The end result should be the same if you just extract the zip to a folder of your choice. Personally, as I'm not the most imaginative person on the planet, I un-zipped it to '/home/brian/Quick and Easy Web Builder'. I'm not where the .deb version normally installs to.

The only drawback to that is that it may not create an icon on your desktop because the installer script wasn't run. You should be able to create your own very easily.

Try it and let me know how you get on. For updates, simply extract them and copy the files over the originals, the files created by yourself will still be there and work as normal.

Brian.
uffex

Post by uffex »

Hi Brian
Tried your suggestion the icon did not arrive or an install file, earlier I tried installing using the "gdebi" & "Synaptic" that was with the Debian version not sure where to go from here.
Kind regards
Uffex
betwixt

Post by betwixt »

I think you must be doing something wrong or using the wrong installer file.
If you download the zip file from the web site (qnewb8_linux64.zip) it should contain 16 directories and 14 files. The directories themselves also contain files.

If you extract 'qnewb8_linux64.zip' to a folder of your choice (such as /home/<your name>/Quick and Easy Web Builder) you should find all those directories and files inside it. There will be no 'installer' as such, the files are already present and ready to use, just cd to the folder and type ./qnewb and it should run. One of the files is called 'qnewb.png' which you can use to make an icon for your desktop.

Brian.
uffex

Post by uffex »

Good day Brian thank you for your time, Here are the screens as I get when trying to install I am no doubt doing something wrong.
No1. I have unpacked the download /home/buff/Pictures/Gif/Q&E 1.gif
No.2 This is the install screen that arrives /home/buff/Pictures/Gif/QnE 2.gif
No.3 after the install process /home/buff/Pictures/Gif/QnE 3.gif
No.4 Screen shot of the software installed the Launch button has no effect. /home/buff/Pictures/Gif/Screenshot from 2021-12-05 10-33-11.gif
No.5 Terminal response to the search. /home/buff/Pictures/Gif/termina.gif
I have tried to install an older version of QnE (7) same result, if I choose the version for older computers (386) it will work however my machine is using 64 bit system only.
Kind regards
betwixt

Post by betwixt »

A lot of people were very patient when I was learning so the least I can do is offer my time to others.

I'm afraid I can't see any of the images but something doesn't look right at your step 3.

1. The file to download is at URL: https://www.quickandeasywebbuilder.com/download.html
2. Then look for the line in the top paragraph that reads: Quick 'n Easy Web Builder 8.4.1 Linux (64-bit) (Build date: November 15, 2021)
and click on the underlined part at the start of the line. Download that file.
3. Extract the contents of the zip file to a directory of your choice, I suggest using /home/buff/Quick and Easy Web Builder
4. Open a terminal window and type: chmod +x '/home/buff/Quick and Easy Web Builder/qnewb'
5. For now, change to the program directory: cd ~/' Quick and Easy Web Builder'
6. Start the program by typing: ./qnewb

Using the Linux 64 bit download there is no installer as such, you just download all the files and run the executable. When you have confirmed it works it should be easy to make an icon and launcher on your desktop.

Note that my step 4 probably isn't necessary and you might be able to check the executable flag by looking at the file properties, I'm not sure how to do it in Zorin but in Kubuntu you can right click it and select 'properties' then 'permissions'. Also note that if you use a directory with spaces in its name you will have to enclose the whole path in single quotes like my examples above or it will think the different words are individual parameters.

I've posted a screen shot of my installation directory at: http://dyfi.com/Brians_Qnewb_directory.png

Brian.
uffex

Post by uffex »

Hi Brian
No luck with your suggetion that is of course using the Linux version whereas I have always used the Debian version on Pablos advice, I also tried again via terminal see attchment. Debian version download on desktop.
KR
buff@buff-To-be-filled-by-O-E-M:~$ sudo apt install quick-n-easy-web-builder.8_8.4.1_amd64
[sudo] password for buff:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package quick-n-easy-web-builder.8_8.4.1_amd64
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'quick-n-easy-web-builder.8_8.4.1_amd64'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'quick-n-easy-web-builder.8_8.4.1_amd64'
betwixt

Post by betwixt »

Sorry for the delay, been hit by severe storms here today and we had no electricity for most of the day!

One odd thing I can see is the name of the file you are trying to install, you have shown:
quick-n-easy-web-builder.8_8.4.1_amd64
but the file on the web site is :
quick-n-easy-web-builder-8_8.4.1_amd64.deb

Note that you missed the '.deb' off the end and also you are using 'builder.8' but the file is 'builder-8'.

Can you confirm you are using the correct name.

Brian.
uffex

Post by uffex »

Hi Brian I guess you are north of me good luck with the utilty's. Here is the result

buff@buff-To-be-filled-by-O-E-M:~$ sudo apt install quick-n-easy-web-builder-8_8.4.1_amd64.deb
[sudo] password for buff:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package quick-n-easy-web-builder-8_8.4.1_amd64.deb
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'quick-n-easy-web-builder-8_8.4.1_amd64.deb'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'quick-n-easy-web-builder-8_8.4.1_amd64.deb'

I believe I have typed it correctly but the eyes are getting a bit old like the rest of me.
Kind regards
betwixt

Post by betwixt »

I'm on the west coast of Wales, about 10 miles north of Aberystwyth.

A deb package should contain its own installer. It is a self-extracting file containing the program and associated data files and a script to install it. You run a deb file rather than install it. As it runs, the files are extracted then the script is automatically run to finish the installation.

By using: "sudo apt install quick-n-easy-web-builder-8_8.4.1_amd64.deb" you are using the 'apt' program to download the file from the Zorin repository instead of from the file you already downloaded. I guess it isn't in the repository so you get that error message.

Just change to the directory where you downloaded the file from this web site. It might run by simply clicking (or maybe double clicking) on it but I have no experience of how the Zorin file manager behaves in that respect. If it doesn't work by clicking, open a terminal window and 'cd' to the directory containing the file. You can confirm it is there by using the 'ls' (LS) command and you should see the deb file in the listing. Then execute it by typing ./quick-n-easy-web-builder-8_8.4.1_amd64.deb

That's dot - slash - then the file name.

Brian.